Saturday, October 3, 2009

Best friends


It seems like in the last few weeks, I've been surrounded with reminder after reminder of the concept of being "best friends", so I've been quite preoccupied with thoughts about what a best friend actually means. I've mulled it over and over in my head and have realized that there's only one person in this world that I truly associate the world best friend with (besides my husband of course). The funny thing is that we haven't seen each other in years. We haven't even really talked, I mean REALLY talked in years. Much of it because we're on separate continents and also much of it because our lives have sort of diverged as the lives of people who you lose touch with during those formative late high school and college years often do.

Sunbather ring by Auka


We grew up together in Spain. And boy, was it a great childhood! On account of our parents being good friends, our two families seemed to be but one. We'd go out to dinner together, vacation at the beach in southern Spain together, go hiking in the mountains, have potluck-style tapas at the neighborhood pool together. The kids would climb up in the trees and build forts, build a snowman after the first snow (yes, it actually snowed in Madrid a few years!), spend hours and hours in the pool perfecting the art of "dolphin diving", listen to music together, play games, read lots of books together. Many summer evenings were spent playing Sorry! on the grate of the pool's mechanical room since the grate would remain warm throughout the evening from the sun's beating during the day. We would romp around in the grassy fields near our homes finding stuff to make things with. A branch here. A nut there. It seemed we were always making "things". In fact, Ana was always super talented. She could draw amazingly. People, faces, designer sketches. She was always doing something of the sort. When my own family would be away on vacation or visiting relatives we'd write to each other and I'd always look forward that beautifully illustrated letter that I would get from Ana. I have very fond memories of our time together when we lived in Spain. Then, my family made the move to America. Our lives were never the same. New continent, new country, new climate, new language, new culture, new school, new opportunities, new friends (although that took a while because of the language barrier and a lot of culture shock). The distance and time eventually just pulled my best friend and I in different directions. But somehow, we never really forgot each other. Our circumstances have changed, our high school and college years have been apart and our lives are completely different. Yet I still hang on to the thought that Ana is my best friend. That spark of friendship still exists. It may be faint, but it still exists. And will probably bind us forever.



Bzz...bees go to honey earrings by Auka

I mentioned Ana was always very creative and quite talented. It didn't surprise me then, that one day, I'd find her on Etsy. Her work is gorgeous and amazing. Her rings are so fun! And surprise, surprise! The pool and beach that were so much of a part of our childhood have made an appearance in her work. Check out Ana's beautiful store on Etsy: Auka. Go ahead! Carry a little piece of beach on your finger...


lil' people ring by Auka
Life's a beach!

3 comments:

blue moss said...

hi thanks for visiting....
and for your great comment...
i totally agree with all the reasons you love patterns...and i so love your work! the christmas ornament that i bought from you did not get packed away with my other ornaments...it's hanging on a random branch in my dining room...and i think about how much i love it everytime i see it!
michelle

Couture de Papier said...

Wow!

aBohemianMarket said...

Hi Mrs. Monkey:
I love your little people!!!
I use to live in San Francisco and how I miss it : (
I love monkey's, frogs and other creatures. I recently bought some of the coolest vintage monkey wall paper on etsy : )
Have a great day
peace
carole
I lived in the Outer sunset and rode my bike in the Mission : ) Love the out door fruit stands and coffee shops. I am following you too, now.