Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sad friends?

People often ask me why my dolls look so sad. Although I am not a sad person in general, I have been known to give in to melancholy from time to time. It's just part of my personality. I get in a pensive mood that eventually leads me to answer the question "Why are we here?". No, not really. No matter how much thought I put into it, I can't really seem to find an answer for that one. But isn't everyone a little melancholic once in a while? No? Ok...It's just me then. But I digress.

My melancholy is the place my little doll friends come from sometimes. While, in some ways, my dolls are the expression of that melancholy, they're also quite the opposite. This is because my little worry doll friends are made for the express purpose of chasing the blues away and those blues are not necessarily always mine. All my dolls have a very important job to do that takes a lot of their concentration, but don't let their worried or sad looks fool you. They're all very good at their jobs. And they've had ample training. They love their jobs. They enjoy helping you get through a tough time when you're a little sad, worried or scared. They'll be there to support you until the rain clouds pass. They'll be there to catch your nightmares and direct them away from you so you can get some sleep. They'll be there when you're worried or when you're stressed. Or they'll be there when you just need some quiet from the negative self-talk in your head. They'll even be there to remind you of your worth when you forget. They'll be there absorbing all the bad that surrounds you. And most of all they'll be there to love you when you don't know how to love yourself. That's why they look so sad. It's a difficult job, but someone's gotta do it.

Go on. Say hello. Let one become your hero.




3 comments:

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

Sad or not, they are just darling.

momentsinaneye said...

They don't look sad..they are just resting and waiting for someone to say hi..thank you for letting me visit.

Anitra Cameron said...

Sycamore Moon's got it right--they're darling! Maybe they're sympathy extenders, huh? I can hear them saying, "Ooh. Did you get a boo-boo? I so sorry. Can I help?"