Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Housework


Photo by Shelby Nycole
currently available for purchase at


Bah! I @#$^&$ hate housework...

I am one of those people who really would rather find something else to do with my time than clean anything. Listen to me. I start out with "I am one of those people" as if there are others like me. What can I say. Misery loves company. The truth is (I'll lay it out here, but only for you)....the truth is that there's no one out there like me. I am a slob. I admit that there's nothing less important in my life to me than keeping house. There. I said it.

The curious thing is that I didn't use to mind it all that much. Didn't love it. But I didn't hate it either. Always chalked it up to one of those necessities in life. Just something you HAVE to do. If there was some enjoyment in it for me it was the satisfaction of being able to check something off my "to do" list or finishing a particular task. I even found some slight enjoyment in the fact that I get home and not trip over 5 things on my way in. Somewhere along the way, I lost my housework mojo. The little satisfaction or enjoyment I felt just left me. I have no idea what triggered it, but something did. Well...today, my friends...things are a-changin'. Today, I was featured on a blog that sparked a little flame in me. Here's what happened. I got home from work and tripped over one of my pairs of shoes, my husband's pair of shoes, set my mail down on the evergrowing pile of mail on my built-in library, tripped over my purse (there since Saturday) on the way up the stairs, sighed about the laundry that should have been done two weeks ago, dropped my stuff on the bed and ran to my study to check my e-mail and hibernate in an attempt to ignore the mine field I just waded through. A very kind Etsian had featured my sewing pattern tray (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13536363) from my etsy shop natuure (http://natuure.etsy.com/) on her blog! I was sooooo excited! I clicked on the link for her blog (http://the-linen-cupboard.blogspot.com/) and started reading. I WAS HOOKED! Not only are her posts super informative, but you should read her "About me" and her "Note on perfection" on the bottom of her page. Exactly! Her blog made me realize that it's not about being perfect, but about reconnecting with the little things that make life so enjoyable. The little things that make you feel alive, such as the crisp folds of fresh linens as you tuck in the corners while making the bed each morning. Or the scent and snap of those same fresh linens as you take your time folding them after they've been laundered. Or the look of that clean and organized refrigerator as you're taking things out to make dinner. And what about that feeling of having accomplished your "chores", of having actually ENJOYED them! Not to mention being able to invite house guests over for the week-end because no mines are left to trip over. Yup! I've got my mojo back!! *goes off chasing the dog with vacuum in hand*